Re: Frustration made me do it.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2010 21:37:32 -0800, Dan Serban wrote:

> After years of running the mozilla suite (remember when you couldn't
> refresh a POST document in mozilla 0.6?) and begrudgingly moving to
> Firefox, then falling in love with iceweasel.  Today, sad as it is, is
> when I feel that I must announce that I decided to:
>
> # aptitude purge iceweasel icedove
>
> I will spare you the minute details for my decision, but I assume most
> of you experience the same frustrations I do.  The increasing bloat, the
> never enough memory (16gb real, 32gb swap) being happily claimed by a
> single tab and xul-runner eating it all.

Mozilla products are memory/CPU hogs, yes. I hope newer versions can
correct that.

> Icedove likes to make my computer behave like a 386 (downloading and
> indexing millions of IMAP messages..  heck, it's _why_ I use IMAP :/).

Icedove 3.x has an option to tell do not index e-mails. Not sure how it
goes because I'm still with 2.x branch.

> I now have chromium and claws at my beck and call.  Man.. are they ever
> fast.
>
> Just thought I'd make some noise and share, I feel so free.  \o/

Lucky you that can make that change :-)

I have to stick with Icedove because is one of the two MUAs I know that
can handle html e-mails in Linux. The second is Evolution, but I think is
even slower than Icedove.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón