RE: How to recreate a dmraid RAID array with mdadm (was: no subject)

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 12:53:37 +1100 <neilb@suse.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 01:39:39 +0000
> John Robinson  wrote:
>
> > On 17/11/2010 01:26, Neil Brown wrote:
> > > On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:02:17 -0500
> > > Mike Viau wrote:
> > [...]
> > [...]
> > > I would really expect that mdadm.conf file to successfully assemble the
> > > RAID1.
> >
> > The only thing that strikes me is that "DEVICE partitions" line - surely
> > imsm containers don't live in partitions?
>
> No, they don't.
>
> But "DEVICE partitions" actually means "any devices listed
> in /proc/partitions", and that includes whole devices.
> :-(

I noticed both /dev/sda and /dev/sdb (the drives which make up the raid1 array) do not appear to recognized as having a valid container when one is required. The output of mdadm -Asvv shows:

mdadm -Asvv
mdadm: looking for devices for further assembly
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-3
mdadm: /dev/dm-3 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-2
mdadm: /dev/dm-2 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-1
mdadm: /dev/dm-1 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/dm-0
mdadm: /dev/dm-0 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/loop0
mdadm: /dev/loop0 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc7: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc7 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc6: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc6 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc5: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc5 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: no RAID superblock on /dev/sdc2
mdadm: /dev/sdc2 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc1: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc1 has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdc has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sdb has wrong uuid.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sda: Device or resource busy
mdadm: /dev/sda has wrong uuid.
mdadm: looking for devices for /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-3
mdadm/dev/dm-3 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-2
mdadm/dev/dm-2 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-1
mdadm/dev/dm-1 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/dm-0
mdadm/dev/dm-0 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/loop0
mdadm/dev/loop0 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc7: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc7 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc6: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc6 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc5: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc5 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: no recogniseable superblock on /dev/sdc2
mdadm/dev/sdc2 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc1: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc1 is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdc: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdc is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sdb: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sdb is not a container, and one is required.
mdadm: cannot open device /dev/sda: Device or resource busy
mdadm/dev/sda is not a container, and one is required.

and cat /proc/partitions shows:

major minor  #blocks  name

   8        0  976762584 sda
   8       16  976762584 sdb