Re: how to make the console not blank out and change resolution?

On Sun, 2010-10-24 at 02:52 +0800, jidanni@jidanni.org wrote:
> Allow me to ask a stupid question.
>
> Somewhere near this point in the dmesg messages, the console blanks and
> becomes a different resolution.
>
> [   8.135936] Marking TSC unstable due to TSC halts in idle
> [   8.137762] processor LNXCPU:00: registered as cooling_device0
> [   8.144690] Switching to clocksource acpi_pm
> [   8.223513] input: PC Speaker as /devices/platform/pcspkr/input/input5
> [   8.754683] i801_smbus 0000:00:1f.3: PCI INT B -> Link[LNKB] -> GSI 11 (level, low) -> IRQ 11
> [   8.768920] pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
> [   8.853142] shpchp: Standard Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.4
> [   8.872591] intel_rng: FWH not detected
> [   9.160625] IBM TrackPoint firmware: 0x0e, buttons: 3/3
>
> All I know is it happens around the time /etc/rcS.d/S02udev is run.
>
> How do I temporarily not make this console blanking not occur?
>
> You see, when that happens, whatever that was on the screen goes away.
> Nor was most of what was on the screen at that point stored in dmesg or
> in any /var/log/* file, not can it be ShiftPgUp'ed to anymore.
>
> So I would like to stop the blanking just one time to get a look at what
> was on the screen at that point.
>
> Reading http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s03.html.en , I
> tried adding fb=false to the boot parameters. However I see in dmesg the
> frame buffer still there. Well they ought to correct that. Let's see
> what else I can try.
>
> I added "blacklist drm" in /etc/modprobe.d/* but that is ignored too.
> Apparently that is for later items, not stuff so early in the boot
> process.
>
> I tried to make the /etc/init.d scripts not run in parallel, so that
> debugging messages I put in them would reveal just which one is the
> blanking the screen culprit. But of course how to not make them run in
> parallel is a big mystery, despite the insserv man page.
> dpkg-reconfigure what package? initscripts:no, insserv:no.
>
> On my desktop, blanking does not occur, only on my laptops.
>
> Let's see, maybe if I turned off one of these:
> 7 matches for "drm" in buffer: kernel-parameters.txt.gz
>      46:	DRM	Direct Rendering Management support is enabled.
>     793:	gamma=		[HW,DRM]
>     886:	i810=		[HW,DRM]
>    1413:	mga=		[HW,DRM]
>    2094:	r128=		[HW,DRM]
>    2514:	tdfx=		[HW,DRM]
>    2786:	Add more DRM drivers.
> However as there is nary a word about how to use these parameters there
> in that document, one dares not experiment. Maybe on the boot line I
> just do gamma=false i810=false mga=false r128=false tdfx=false ?
> But judging from what happened when I did fb=false, I think that
> wouldn't work either.

I have been wanting to try and stop this too but haven't had a chance to
look into it. I want the screen resolution to honour the setting from
grub but at some point it blanks and changes to 1024x768 during boot-up.
I don't mind that at times but when I am reading I prefer 800x600 as is
set in grub.cfg.

Please post anything you find.. :)