Re: change in behavior of iptables with respect to firestarter

Post Script to Previous Message:

The failure of the Scripts button to bring up anything led me to deliberately try entering the wrong password, and that got me a modal dialog:

------------------------------8<---------------------------------------
Failed to run /usr/share/wicd/gtk/configscript.py 'ourplace' 'wired' as user root.

The underlying authorization mechanism (sudo) does not allow you to run this program. Contact the system administrator.
------------------------------8<---------------------------------------

(ourplace being the name of the home network) So I ran that command from within the terminal, like so

# /usr/share/wicd/gtk/configscript.py 'ourplace' 'wired'
/usr/share/wicd/gtk/configscript.py:159: GtkWarning: gtk_toolbar_set_icon_size: assertion `icon_size != GTK_ICON_SIZE_INVALID' failed
  wTree = gtk.glade.XML(gladefile)

I'm used to seeing the odd GtkWarning in stdout when running GUI apps from the terminal since I use ssh -X sessions a lot. And the effort does result in presentation of a "Configure Scripts" dialog with four fields and the ubiquitous Cancel / OK buttons. The fields are:

Pre-connection Script
Post-connection Script
Pre-disconnection Script
Post-disconnection Script

I'm guessing I should try to run firestarter in the Pre-connection Script field first, and then fall back to using the Post-connection Script field if Pre-connection fails.

Now I just have to decide which of the firestarter scripts it makes the most sense to use in this case. I'm guessing from the order in which things appear in the output seen in tty1 that the firestarter script will most likely have to run post-connection?

I've manually started firestarter successfully after login with both of the following:

# /etc/init.d/firestarter start

# /etc/firestarter/firestarter.sh start

I'm guessing the second one, which seems to check on a bunch of conditions before launching the application, would be the safest (as in closest to intentions of the developers) one to use. Would you have any suggestions, or should I just start plonking away?

Thanks again,
Gilbert