Re: Debian Squeeze Boot-up stalls waiting for dhcp to obtain address

On Fri, 15 Oct 2010 10:26:24 -0500, Arthur Machlas wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 9:52 AM, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com>
> wrote:
>> Arthur Machlas wrote:
>>>
>>> Did a network install of Squeeze the other day, on a computer without
>>> wireless. Normally I remove everything but lo in
>>> /etc/network/interfaces, but after resume from suspend network-manager
>>> reported disabling device eth0 for reason 2, whatever that meant, and
>>> the only way to bring it back up was to reboot. It was gone from
>>> ifconfig!
>>
>> You mean you installed squeeze and after the install and the reboot did
>> a suspend?
>>

> That's right. Install squeeze (netinstall, minimal, only base). Reboot.
> Add packages (e.g., gnome-core, network-manager, gnome-power-manager,
> etc.). Reboot. Internet works, but network-manager isn't managing it.

As soon as you edit "/etc/network/interfaces" and use a dhcp
configuration for etehrnet device, _that is_ the default setting by now,
sir, we have to live with that:

http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

You can change it so it gets managed again, but it could lead to
undesired results :-/

> I remove eth0 from /etc/network/interfaces and reload network-manager.
> It now manages eth0.  Made desktop pretty. Configured to standby after 1
> hr. Left computer. Computer went to standby after one hour. When
> resumed, no eth0 network interface in iwconfig. Network-manager logs
> have cryptic message about disabling eth0 for "reason 2".

Maybe you can configure an stand-by hook for disallowing network manager
(or your wifi card) of going to sleep :-?

> Can't rmmod and modprobe eth driver has no effect. service
> network-mananger restart has no effect. Reboot is only solution to
> bringing eth0 interface back up.
>
> Googling issue suggests its a bug related to network manager's managed
> versus unmanaged settings regarding interfaces listed in
> /etc/network/interfaces. I put eth0 back into /etc/network/interaces and
> tell nm to manage devices in /etc/network/interfaces. Things work well.
> Desktop is pretty. When resuming from suspend, network interace is
> brought back up by n-m and connects normally.

And what was the problem of leaving "eth0" as unmanaged? The long delay
at booting, waiting for a DHCP lease? :-?

> Take laptop to kitchen, reboot at some point, and boot-up process is
> slowed down while dhcp tries to obtain an ip address. This delays boot
> by about a minute while it tries and tries and tries and fails to get an
> ip address, and it won't ever get one because it's not connected to the
> network.

Waiting for an IP on eth0 interface should not prevent the computer from
starting. It can delay the booting time, but not to stop it. If no DHCP
server could be reached, avahi-daemon must set the device to use a
zeroconf configuration (169.x.x.x).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón