Re: Issue with fast-user-switcher-applet

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 21:24:58 -0700, Peter Tenenbaum wrote:

(...)

> So, two questions:
>
> First, does anyone else have this problem?  I don't see any Debian bugs
> with fast-user-switcher-applet, but I may not be searching correctly.

There is just one old bug filed:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=fast-user-switchapplet

> I'm reluctant to enter a bug report for something which I can't reliably
> reproduce and which nobody else has seen (to me, that's more of a UFO
> sighting than a bug report).

Dunno for that applet, but using the default "logout → user switching"
facility I also have to enter the password for each user, yep. Maybe
that's a "by design" security feature :-?

> Second:  is there a command I can use at the command line to switch
> between multiple users who are logged in and running gnome, without the
> need of passwords?

Mmmm, I think once you've already logged in on each session you can
switch between them by pressing "Ctrl+Alt+F7" / "Ctrl+Alt+F8" and no
password is prompted. That requires disabling "locking" the screen after
an idle period (you can test and check this point).

> In other words, I'd like to replicate the FUSA
> functionality with a linux command if possible.  We really only have 2
> accounts here (mine and my wife's), so I could put a shortcut on her
> menus or desktop which switches to me, and one on mine which switches to
> her.

I've never heard about that "FUSA" thing. Just out of curiosity, what is
it? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón