Re: Garbled PDF: missing fonts?

On Tue, 28 Sep 2010 22:45:12 -0400, Doug wrote:

> On 9/28/2010 6:18 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> No installation privileges needed. Just drop (copy/paste) all your MS
>> *.ttf font into your user's "~/.fonts" folder and you're done :-)
>>

> Because I have several Linux distros as well as WinXP on one computer, I
> can search (from Linux) and find a C:\Windows\Fonts directory, with
> *.ttf files, so I suppose I could copy all of these into some Linux
> directory.

Yes.

> Looking in Debian squeeze, there are /usr/share/fonts/truetype/ and then
> some subdirectories like /freefont, /dejavu /liberation, and a couple of
> others, with differing numbers of fonts in each.  Dejavu has 21
> variations, the most.
>
> Looking in Ubuntu 10.04.1 I find a /usr/share/fonts/truetype/freefont
> directory, which seems to have 12 fonts listed, and where I suppose I
> could dump the Win *.ttf.  Would this be the right place?
>
> Looking in PCLINUXOS 2010, I find about 55 .ttf fonts in /usr/share/
> fonts/webcore/ including Times, "couri" and arial.
>
> I need more instruction.  I've been playing around with Linux for some
> time, but only recently decided to get serious about it. So, in that
> respect, I'm really a newbie.  So help, please.

In what point do you need more instruction? :-?

I tell you what I do for getting TrueType fonts (I can only speak for
Debian, not sure how the other distributions are managing that).

To avoid messing TrueType fonts with the current installed ones, I copy/
paste *.ttf files into "/usr/local/share/fonts". That way, TrueType fonts
are widely available for all users and programs.

> For instance, how does a program like OOo or Thunderbird, or the pdf
> reader, etc., know which subdirectory to pick its fonts from? (That
> would kind of indicate where additional fonts should be imported to.)

In Debian, any program may look into the defined directories (specified
in "/etc/fonts/fonts.conf" file:

<!-- Font directory list -->
<dir>/usr/share/fonts</dir>
<dir>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts</dir>