Re: nvidia-kernel-2.6-amd64 vs nvidia-kernel-dkms method

On Mon, 27 Sep 2010 10:22:18 -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

> I was just wondering what the advantages of using the nvidia-kernel-2.6
> packages were in contrast to what I am/have been using which is the
> nvidia-glx package which depends on nvidia-kernel-dkms to compile the
> NVIDIA driver module (with the kernel headers) into
> /lib/modules/${kernel_version}/updates/dkms/nvidia.ko

I think (but maybe wrongly) that "nvidia-kernel-dkms" kernel will allow
you you build/install a new kernel despite there is a matching in header
files, whereas "nvidia-kernel" needs an exact kernel headers
correspondence.

> Has the nouveau code been stripped from the nvidia-kernel-2.6 packages
> so that it only used the NVIDIA driver module?

I also think that "nuvó" driver follows a different path (it uses another
driver set) :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón