Re: A question about mixing releases

On Sun, Sep 26, 2010 at 11:20:43AM +0200, Aniruddha wrote:
> I use apt-pinning to mix stable, testing and sid. because of a bug in
> Squeeze I've installed fglrx-modules-dkms from sid. Today I got an
> update for my fglrx packages I noticed these were pulled in from a sid
> repository. My question is the following: if  you install a package
> from an unstable repository does it mean that apt/aptitude then tracks
> unstable updates for that package?
Package may be upgraded only if there's one with a bigger version number. If
you have package from sid, the newer may appear only in sid. That is, aptitude
tracks all the repos and would upgrade wrom that one where is the newest
package - in your situation it would mean 'from sid'.

> And is it possible to prevent a
> specific package version from being updated (like package.mask in
> Gentoo)? Thanks in advance
Yes, that's called 'hold'. Just run
# aptitude hold package
and package would never ever be updated unless you unhold it with
# aptitude unhold package

--
Regards,
Alexander Batischev

1024D/69093C81
F870 A381 B5F5 D2A1 1B35  4D63 A1A7 1C77 6909 3C81