Re: Restarting Networking in Debian

On 09/22/2010 12:41 PM, Carlos Mennens wrote:
What is the deal now with 'restarting' networking services in Debian 5
&  Squeeze? I use to be able to run the command:

/etc/init.d/networking restart

Now when I do so in Debian, I get a strange error:

Running /etc/init.d/networking restart is deprecated because it may
not enable again some interfaces ... (warning).
Reconfiguring network interfaces...done.

It has been discussed here before. You might want to go, as many do, to the list archives for the complete story. Google would have found
your answer as well

invoke-rc.d networking restart

apt-cache search invoke-rc.d
/usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d

dpkg -S /usr/sbin/invoke-rc.d
sysv-rc

dpkg -l sysv-rc
ii sysv-rd  2.88dsf-12   System-V-like runlevel change mechanism

Wayne