Re: Dumping terminal contents to a file

On Wed, 08 Sep 2010 22:28:18 +0200, manu revah <manu@manurevah.com> wrote:

Le Mer 8 septembre 2010 18:52, Alois Mahdal a écrit :
Hi Debian users,

I wonder if there's  a simple  and universal way  to dump output
of terminal to a file, particularly for demonstration purposes.

not sure if this would do:

 screendump

Yes, Manu! That's exactly what I was looking for!

It seems to be kinda smarter alternative to copying /dev/vcs?, which:
  * ignores garbage characters
  * ignores spaces at the end of line

The fact is that to make it work, you must grant user read rights
for /dev/vcs? and /dev/vcsa?, which potentially might be a security
issue (as user's process might have access to other tty contents),
but for my purpose (testing on VMWares / asking at mailing lists ;D),
it's not really a disadvantage.

Thanks a lot, guys, now I have a nice new set of toys to play with :-D
Al.