Re: thoughts on RHCE

On Wed, Sep 01, 2010 at 05:04:37PM +0200, Julien Vehent wrote:
> I know this is kind of off-topic on a Debian mailing list, but since
> there's no Debian certification, I was considering taking RHCE.
> The thing is, RHCE fast track course is $3000, and so far,
> everything I've seen or read is pretty classic linux knowledge. So I
> was wondering what other people thought of it.

Most of what you will learn in the RHCE course can easily be applied to
Debian, openSUSE, HPUX and many other UNIX and unix-like operating
systems. I would recommend the certification.

> Is it worth something as a linux certification, in the context of
> working as an independant contractor for example ?

My RHCE has been a valuable tool to put on a resumé. I know hands down
that it got me my current job, even placing me above candidates who had
computer science degrees and years of experience.

> Considering I have about 7 years of linux sysadmin in my head, not
> specifically with red hat though, is it doable to just take the exam
> (with a bit of preparation before, eg. centos and a good book) ? The
> exam itself is $750.

Look over the preparation guide, and make sure you can accomplish each
of those items with 100% certainty. If so, then you should be able to
take the exam without the course. However, if there is even one topic on
there that you are slightly unsure about, I would strongly recommend
taking the course before the exam.

I used to be an examiner for Red Hat, and I can say with confidence that
the exam is very difficult. Many students would come into my class, very
arrogant and confident they could do the exam with minimal effort, then
fail miserably. The course is given for a reason. The topics covered are
given for a reason. The book and labs are given for a reason. Take
advantage of them.

> Did I miss any other certification worth of interest ?

I am looking at continuing my Red Hat certification towards earning my
RHCA. Additional topics, classes and exams are needed, but it would be
rewarding for me in my field.

I'm also looking at getting some of the Cisco certifications. I hear the
market puts great value on some of the higher Cisco certs, and people
with them are highly sought after, and paid quite well.

--
. o .   o . o   . . o   o . .   . o .
. . o   . o o   o . o   . o o   . . o