Re: Upgrade to latest Inkscape

Kelly Clowers wrote:
> James Stuckey wrote:
> > You shouldn't do it like this. If you do, you very well may end up with an
> > unstable system.
>
> What? Why would it be unstable?

For one it would then be "Unstable", as in the daily Debian Unstable
build.  As in Unstable, Testing, Stable.  Here is a reference to
Debian release tracks.

  http://www.debian.org/releases/

But the real problem with upgrading by the method described is that
you will probably end up with an unbootable system.  That would be
another definition of unstable.  This next upgrade will require
specific actions to successfully upgrade.  Such as upgrading the
kernel first, rebooting, then upgrading the rest of the system.  See
several of the recent discussion threads talking about the upgrade
process from Lenny to Squeeze to get the details.

> > Upgrade to testing by the instructions I gave you, and then
> > backport this package to testing from experimental.
> >
> > a) put experimental deb-src only in your sources.list
> > b) update aptitude
> > c) apt-get build-dep inkscape (or whatever the package name is)
> > d) apt-get -b source inkscape
> > e) install resulting inkscape deb
>
> Hmmm, I never really got how to use source packages. Is that really
> all there is to it?

Going from Experimental to Testing should be fairly straight forward.

Bob