Re: Aptitude cannot upgrade libperl5.10

On Sun, Aug 29, 2010 at 18:26:44 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:55:49 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> >>   The following packages have unmet dependencies:
> >>     libperl5.10: Depends: perl-base (= 5.10.1-12) but 5.10.1-14 is to
> >>     be
> >> installed.
> >
> > So the problem is that aptitude thinks it cannot upgrade libperl5.10.
> > What is the output of:
> >
> >   aptitude show libperl5.10 | awk '/^Package/,/^Version/' aptitude
>
> % aptitude show libperl5.10 | awk '/^Package/,/^Version/'
> Package: libperl5.10
> State: not installed
> Automatically installed: no
> Version: 5.10.1-14
>
> "Automatically installed: no"? Strange, but this is not the first time
> that I see automatically installed packages are considered something else
> by aptitude. If you'd like, I can start another thread discussing
> specifically about it.

I would say that is not necessary; the overall topic of this thread is
package management, so we stay within its scope and just start a more
specific sub-thread. It is good that you changed the subject, to make it
more likely to attract Daniel Burrows (the author of aptitude, who does
seem to read this list).

> Ops, just realize that aptitude thinks my libperl5.10 is not installed,
> but it is:
>
> $ apt-cache policy libperl5.10
> libperl5.10:
>   Installed: 5.10.1-12
>   Candidate: 5.10.1-14
>   Version table:
>      5.10.1-14 0
>         360 http://cdn.debian.net testing/main Packages
>          50 http://cdn.debian.net unstable/main Packages
>  *** 5.10.1-12 0
>         100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>
> OK, now I think the problem is that my aptitude's status log is messed
> up. Could it be that I mix apt-get install and aptitude install, or
> something else? (I don't do install/upgrade very often, as you can see.)

Indeed, there seems to be a problem with aptitude's databases. Please
check what dpkg itself thinks about libperl, i.e.

  dpkg -l libperl\* | awk '/^[^D|+]/{print $1,$2,$3}'

I have in the past experimented with mixing apt-get and aptitude; I
never had any problems. There were (and maybe still are) some
differences with respect to handling of automatic installs and the
persistence of scheduled actions that one should be aware of, though.

In recent years I have only used aptitude in interactive mode (ncurses
interface), so I am hesitant to make any strong statements about
aptitude's behavior in command-line mode, and even more hesitant about
apt-get.

My personal philosophy is that I try to keep all packages on my Sid
systems up-to-date, because then I will only have "normal Sid problems",
which are shared by many people, so they will discovered and solved
quickly. With a partially-outdated Sid system, there might be additional
issues (unforeseen by the package managers, who assume their packages
are installed on a current system), and you are more or less alone with
them.

> >   --simulate --show-deps install libperl5.10=5.10.1-14

[ snip: Again, a nonsense proposal instead of simply upgrading all the
  perl packages. This is not surprising, we have to figure out why
  aptitude does not see libperl5.10 as installed. ]

--
Regards,            |
          Florian   |