Re: match across line using grep

Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Bob McGowan wrote:
> > My point is that changing only the LANG environment variable changed the
> > way 'grep' dealt with the newline character.
>
> You are right this really look like a problem. Where should I file the
> bug? The gnu projects management looks mysterious to me, unlike other
> foss projects where there is a bug tracker open for every product. Or,
> should I file it as a Debian bug?

Personally for something like this I would file it upstream.  But the
official policy is that you can always file a bug in the Debian BTS
and put the burden on the Debian maintainer to forward it upstream.
And in many cases I think that is good when Debian's version may be
different from the upstream or older than the upstream.  Upstreams are
sometimes annoyed with a distro's "stable" release that doesn't track
their upstream daily builds.  Reporting to Debian first is never wrong
and frequently the only right thing to do.

But I think for cases like you have here you would be better served
talking directly to the upstream maintainers.  Because the core
functionality of grep is the same and besides, what would a Debian
maintainer actually be able to do in this case?  You wouldn't really
want Debian grep to behave different from other distro's grep command
so Debian specific patches isn't a good thing.

To file a bug against GNU grep send an email to:

  bug-grep@gnu.org

Please choose a good subject line.  (The current one seems reasonable.
I am often annoyed enough to point out that a subject line like "bug"
or "doesn't work" is terrible but is often seen in bug reports.)

Be sure to mention the version of grep that you are using.

  grep --version

You can review previous discussions in the archive here.

  http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-grep/

To file a bug against a Debian package use 'reportbug' and follow the
prompts and instructions.

  $ reportbug grep

You can review the Debian bug tracking system reports for grep here:

  http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?package=grep

Bob