Re: Why is /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/sun-java6-6-12/jdk1.6.0_12 not recognized in update-alternatives?

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 15:03:35 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Me neither... maybe it's just an Eclipse issue. Can you launch any
>> other java application and see if that works?
>>
> Yes, I can, but the result is negative: no other java app works.

Ugh...

>> P.S. Also, consider unistalling Sun's java package (the one downloaded
>> from Oracle site) and getting the Sun's java package from Debian
>> "non-free" repo :-)
>>
> # apt-get install sun-java6-plugin sun-java6-jre sun-java6-jdk
> sun-java6-bin Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> sun-java6-jre is already the newest version. sun-java6-jdk is already
> the newest version. sun-java6-bin is already the newest version.
>
> Good news. I looked thoroughly in /usr/lib/jvm, and discovered that
> there was also a java-6-sun-1.6.0.20 folder, whose bin/ was containing
> java. I managed to make it default:

(...)

Glad you finally got it working :-)

(...)

> and now Eclipse works like a charm. The Sun's version is actually
> incompatible in some way with Debian (Lenny, at least). The
> java-6-sun-1.6.0.20 was already installed, and comes from the non-free
> depos.

That is what I have, yes.

> But it was not recognized (and interpreted) by
> update-alternatives. Why?

Dunno, I have no problems at all with the Sun's Java version of Debian
repos, but I only got JRE, not the developem branch (JDK) :-?

> The problem is that I can't deinstall the other one (I see no way,
> either on Google, or here). It is also in /usr/bin/java. Any idea?

This should help, at least for JRE:

***
How do I uninstall Java for Linux?
http://java.com/en/download/help/linux_uninstall.xml#jre
***

It seems that you only have to delete the folder.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón