Re: Creating a bootable USB key

James Stuckey wrote:
Hello,

I'm trying to use a usb key as installation media. I followed the instructions given here earlier but Unetbootin but did not produce a bootable stick. When trying to boot with that stick I get an error that says "/No/ DEFAULT or /UI configuration/ directive found". I tried running it again but that didn't work either. There seems to be lots of *notes* about creating bootable usb sticks scattered around various places, but none of the ones I have read give complete information. Is anyone who knows how this is done willing to write instructions?

I'm not subscribed to the debian-user list. Please reply to my e-mail address.

It's not hard to do at all, I use a 4GB SanDisk stick, it came with some windows software and I used the SanDisk uninstaller to get rid of their software, using gparted I deleted their partition and formated it fat32 and put a boot flag on the stick and use unetbootin to install the .iso and that's easy too, just follow the unetbootin instructions, point it at the iso and hit the OK button to load the iso, it will tell you when it's ready to be booted, you may need to use the cheat code 'rootdelay=10' as an option to boot the iso kernel so it will have enough time to find the filesystem.
--
Jimmy Johnson

Ubuntu Lucid and Trinity KDE 3.5.11 - EXT4 at sda10
Registered Linux User #380263