Re: backup system for servers

Jordon Bedwell wrote:
On 08/07/2010 10:46 AM, xserver80 wrote:
Hi All
I need to schedule the data backup for 3 servers (2 Debian and 1
Windows) into a dedicated server.
The problem is that I can't install any software in none of the data
source servers (2 Debian and 1 Windows).
The object of my backup are the data exported with samba (2 Debian
Server) and ftp server (Win Server).
That system should mounted the shares (samba and ftp) for download and
check data in other system server.

You don't need "Software" all you need is a simple bash script that 1.) GZIP's everything but: proc, sys and others, 2.) signs said backup and then encrypts it and 3.) an SSH cert to the other server and the time to make said simple script. You can even use Perl or PHP, both of which support being daemonized so you can do incremental backups or backups of specific files based on changes. I usually prefer the Perl method, but sometimes am forced to use PHP and when clients flat out refuse to let me daemonize I tell them to do it themselves since it's not my problem anyways I was just being nice and send them an SH script that does exactly what I described.
Assuming you have access to the destination server, and can mount the directories, you might consider running rdiff-backup - to save some space and bandwidth (despite the "r" in the name, it will work fine across filesystems on the same machine). There's a nice little utility called backupninja that handles setting up all the options and cron jobs - details at https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/show/backupninja -- I moved from a simple bash script to backup-ninja and have been very happy with the results. There's also a longer list of backup tools at http://www.debianhelp.co.uk/backuptools.htm

Miles Fidelman