Re: Help with Tar command

On 01/08/10 18:00, Bob Proulx wrote:
Sven Joachim wrote:
Alan Chandler wrote:

I suspect the * here is being expanded by the shell before it calls
tar, which is what causes the problem.

Indeed, that is the problem.

Agreed.

How can I tell tar to copy all the files in the /bak/mb.com
directory into the archive (exluding the directories that have a
file called NOBAK.TAG in them) in such a way that the inside of
the tar archive does NOT have the directory mb.com as its top
level, but all the files and directories under mb.com.  (I am
relaxed about including the files/directories starting with a dot,
although on balance I would prefer that they be included).

Use "tar --strip-components=1 … -C /bak mb.com" (untested).

I may have read too quickly and you may have been illustrating the
general concept but if already changing directories then why strip any
components?

   tar -czf /.../tarfile.tar.gz --exclude-tag=NOBAK.TAG -C /bak/mb.com .

Alternatively you can change directory to there first.

   cd /bak/mb.com&&  tar -czf /.../tarfile.tar.gz --exclude-tag=NOBAK.TAG .

In case due to font reasons it isn't easily noticeable note the use of
'.' for a directory name at the end of the command line.

Thanks to both of you. I'll go with Bob's first approach - just is the closest to what I was doing before

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk