Re: samba: mounting as cifs not working (works in Windows though)

On Thu, 29 Jul 2010 12:37:26 -0400, H.S. wrote:

> On 29/07/10 11:13 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Does accessing via nautilus/konqueror ("smb://192.168.0.8/share/")
>> work?
>>

> Ha! Yes, it works with dolphin file browser (I am using KDE). I can
> browse the network, then browse samba shares and then when I click on
> the samba server, I can click on the shares, I am then prompted for a
> username and password, which are given and then I can browse the shared
> folders. This all works.

Good. KDE/GNOE use their own samba client framework to handle samba
shares, different than "mount -t cifs" does.

> Perhaps I should just ditch mounting the share using cifs. :-?

No, mounting a samba share "must" work, but is a bit picky :-).

I do not use it at all, but a mounted samba share offers more
possibilities than just accessing the resource using "smb://" protocol.

(I.e., some programs cannot open/save documents from/to a shared resource
using "smb://", they need a "local" path to work -meaning "/mnt" and
such).

> I am not much familiar with samba clients. So I have this question in my
> mind now, what is the status of cifs at this time in Linux? Is it a
> popular option? I used to use smbmount in the past, but I gather that it
> is provided by smbfs and is deprecated or to be replaced by cifs?

It's a very popular option... but people using two linux boxes tend to
prefer using "sftp://"; (or "fish://" in KDE) for document sharing/
browsing instead samba (it's lighther, safer and easier) :-)

Anyway, "mount -t cifs" has to work, there must be something we are
missing here...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón