Re: find+grep [was: Re: Amaya W3C Web browser and sid]

On Thursday 29 July 2010 07:38:00 Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> For me it something that I just cringe to see. I realize that in
> practice, it is not bad. I just cannot get over feeling uneasy when
> seeing things like:
>
> find | grep
> cat | grep
> ls -l | grep
> for i in $(ls -l foo/)
> sudo su
>
> I realize that all of it can be used to accomplish a task. So why do I
> hate to see it so much?

I understand your issues with all but the last one.  A user may need to "sudo
su" due to configuration outside of their control.  A system that requires you
to "sudo su" for some task is likely misconfigured, but it is a useful tool to
have around, as a user.

The rest are less useful, and generally imply a limited, incomplete, or flawed
understanding of one or more of the tools you are using.