Re: Monitoring tools to use on an account

On 07/27/2010 02:24 PM, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> On 7/27/10 12:24 PM, Mike Bird wrote:
>> On Tue July 27 2010 09:53:40 AG wrote:
>>> Any suggestions, please?
>>
>> If you have the right to supervise a child then
>> supervise them.  Stay in the room and make sure
>> they're not surfing porn.  Do so openly.
>>
>> If you don't have the right to supervise an
>> adult then don't spy on them.
>>
>> Speaking for myself, not Debian, ...
>>
>> --Mike Bird
>>

> Nobody has any right to monitor somebody else without consent or a
> warrant.  This is a very grey area companies play in and one the supreme
> court and others are trying to address and have been trying to address.
>  In some states (especially the state I'm in) even monitoring your kids
> or wifes activities can cross the line into being criminal, if you're
> not careful, especially if you break some kind of encryption to do so.
> I'm no lawyer.

You also have to look at it from this perspective. Its his home and his
network. He may be held liable for things that pass in and out of that
network. If the user is engaging in illegal activities, it will be the
OP's internet who gets cut off (and potentially worse).

Not that monitoring will really help this scenario, as the damage will
have already been done.

I would recommend locking the network down over a monitoring solution.
Not only will it can it be more effective, but it does not require the
invasion of privacy. You can use a web proxy, such as squid, to
whitelist allowed sites.

A quick google search turned up this that looks interesting:
http://www.screaming-penguin.com/node/3871 .

- --
Jordan Metzmeier