Re: Internet filtering

On 26/07/10 08:46 PM, vr wrote:

The service provider (ATT) provided a four port 2-Wire router that is both
wireless and wired.

I am not familiar with ATT. Is your service ADSL or cable?

It has very few options for firewalling and is required to connect to
their service.

I think I have used a 2-wire router in the past (it broke down and had to replace it, don't have it anymore) and IIRC it had a sufficient firewall control. Yours may be different of course.

I have uplinked an two HP 1800-8G switches to the ISP's device and plugged
in my devices there.  The LAN has a macintosh client, a couple Windows 7
clients and a few Debian clients and a network printer.

I'd like the flexibility to selectively stop outbound protocols up to and
including Instant Messenger file transfers but do so without having to
configure something specific on the client devices. Other than a new router
IP perhaps?

If your router does not have the features you desire, than you probably need to replace it. It may be replaced with a Debian machine working as a router. This will probably give you the maximum flexibility. I use this method and am quite satisfied with it. The machine needs to have two LAN interface to work as a router, one for WAN (internet) and the other for LAN. The other option is to buy a new router that has the desired features. I would recommend a Linksys or another router that is supported by DDWRT, OpenWRT or Tomato open source firmwares. Eventually it all depends on how much you make your current router do this for you.

Thanks for your LAN details.

Others more experienced can surely give you better advice than I.

Regards.

ever having been read.