Re: External USB HDD : files disappeared

On 7/26/10 4:52 PM, rudu wrote:
Hi,
A friend of mine recently experienced a loss of data on his 500G
external WD drive.
Quite inexplicably, some directories became empty, some file sizes
became null while others stayed intact.
df -h
Sys. de fichiers Taille Uti. Disp. Uti% Monté sur
[...]
/dev/sdb1 466G 196G 270G 43% /media/My Book

du -sh /media/My\ Book
32G /media/My Book

fdisk -l
Disk /dev/sdb: 500.1 GB, 500107862016 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 60801 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x44fdfe06

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sdb1 1 60801 488384001 c W95 FAT32 (LBA)

What I tried :
Photorec : the renaming of restored files would take years, not an
option for my friend ...

Testdisk : No need to partition recovery here, the "Repair FAT" option
only states that everything's OK.

dosfsck -v /dev/sdb1 : shows a lot of " Start does point to root
directory. Deleting dir."
I suppose it's going to wipe out all incoherent result.

I'd suspect the FAT file system for having messed something for some
reason.
Is there any chance to restore the FAT tables or to reconstruct them ?

Thanks for any help.
Jean-Marc

Do us a favor and mount it on a Windows partition and see if you have the same problem. If you do Repair it from the Windows partition as well since Windows is far better with FAT and NTFS than any other operating system and then check again. If they're still missing post back and let us know and we'll go from there.