Trouble compiling generic kernel

Hi. Lenny, up to date with security and backports.

I pulled down 2.6.35-rc6.tar.bz2 from kernel.org, and would like to
try compiling it to see what's Coming Soon To A Disto Near Me.

Its been about 9 years since the last time I compiled a kernel, but
I'm having trouble I didn't have then. For some reason, none of
the "make" things that I've used in the past are working now:

===========
$ make xconfig
  CHECK   qt
*
* Unable to find the QT3 installation. Please make sure that
* the QT3 development package is correctly installed and
* either install pkg-config or set the QTDIR environment
* variable to the correct location.
*
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_qtcheck',
needed by `scripts/kconfig/qconf.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [xconfig] Error 2
===========
===========
$ make menuconfig
 *** Unable to find the ncurses libraries or the
 *** required header files.
 *** 'make menuconfig' requires the ncurses libraries.
 ***
 *** Install ncurses (ncurses-devel) and try again.
 ***
make[1]: *** [scripts/kconfig/dochecklxdialog] Error 1
make: *** [menuconfig] Error 2
===========
===========
$ make gconfig
*
* Unable to find the GTK+ installation. Please make sure that
* the GTK+ 2.0 development package is correctly installed...
* You need gtk+-2.0, glib-2.0 and libglade-2.0.
*
make[1]: *** No rule to make target `scripts/kconfig/.tmp_gtkcheck',
needed by `scripts/kconfig/gconf.o'.  Stop.
make: *** [gconfig] Error 2

"make config" did work, but working through everything in text is
enough to make a sane person INSANE.

I was surprised with the failure of menuconfig, since I have all of
ncurses installed and the "ncurses-devel" suggestion isn't a Debian
package name anyway.

Suggestions?

- --
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end,
for they do so with the approval of their consciences.