Re: how do you check that grub2 is configured correctly ?

On Thu, 15 Jul 2010 07:13:52 +0000 (UTC)
Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 22:46:40 -0700, briand wrote:
>
> > If update-grub2 executes without any errors am I good to go ?
> >
> > What else can I do to try and make sure it will work ?
>
> GRUB menu lines can be syntactically right but it can also fail and
> don't boot.
>
> Things than can prevent your system from booting are (but not limited
> to): having a wrong root defined or pointing to a wrong/nonexistent
> device.

and I would check this where ?  I looked at grub.cfg and it's quite
complicated.

> There are still some things one have to manually check to assure a
> correct booting but if the system fails to boot you can run GRUB
> interactively. Also, as last resort, having a CD with SuperGrubDisk
> is a must.

Why don't you tell me what those things are , enquiring minds want to
know ?!

A rescue disk sounds useful :-)  Is it better to have supergrubdisk or
just have a debian net-install boot disk available ?

Brian