Re: installing a second hard disk?

On 10/07/10 00:36, Zachary Uram wrote:
I just got a 500gb Hitachi hard drive (this is my second drive, my
first drive is /dev/sda).
What is the best way to install this in Linux? Is it better to run ext3 or ext4?

Zach

<><  http://www.fidei.org><>

Assuming you already have a fully working system on your first drive, I see two possibilities, dependent on your space needs.

Either use some or all of the 500GB to turn some or all of your existing hard drive into a RAID 1 volume (dependent upon how that is partitioned)

(To do this, you have to create one or more partitions on your new disk that are the same size as partitions on your old drive. Set the new disk up as half of a raid pair (so there is one missing drive), copy the data from your old disk on to it and reconfigure the kernel boot and /etc/fstab to handle the revised raid device. Then when you are sure its working, turn the old drive into the other half of the raid pair.

Whether you create a raid partition or not, consider creating an LVM volume group so that you can dynamically add and remove logical volumes dependent on where you need the space.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk