Re: automatically removing commercials from recorded movies

On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 05:42:02PM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 11:21:40AM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 04, 2010 at 04:34:43PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > what do you use to automatically remove commercials from movies
> > > recorded with a TV card? I know mythtv can do it, but I don't like
> > > mythtv.
> > >
> > Personally, I'd just use MythTV.  But if you want to do it yourself,
> > avidemux has a "next black frame" button.  I know that's one of the
> > methods MythTV uses to detect commercials.  This might get you started.
>
> The problem with avidemux is that it is unable to keep the sound
> synchronized with the movie. So I'm using dvbcut which doesn't have
> this problem. But it's tedious to cut out all the commercials manually

Yeah, I've had that trouble before.

MythTV runs a program called "mythcommflag".  Maybe you could look up
the source or just get it to run standalone, without installing MythTV.

> > And if avidemux has this feature, mplayer/mencoder probably has it too.
>
> Hm, any idea how to make use of that? I couldn't find anything to that
> in the manpage. It has even been impossible to create a channels.conf
> for mplayer ...

This was just a guess, because I know avidemux is based on a lot of
mencoder code.

I just tried "mplayer -vf blackframe myfile" and it looks like it might
have output a list of frames that are black.  I'm not 100% sure what I'm
looking at here, to be honest.

-Rob