J-Pilot and Handspring Visor

No, this post did not just appear out of the ether after 10 years in limbo.  Yes, I do own a Visor.  I haven't used mine in ages, but my wife depends on hers.  She has been syncing to her box at work (with that other OS), but it has been giving increasing trouble with newer versions of the OS.  Now, her Visor appears to have died, as well.  Since I am not using mine, I said that she could have it.  But since here box at work bluescreens every time she tries to sync, I thought that it would be best to sync the Visor at home for backup.  More convenient, too.  My problem is that I can not get a connection when I try to sync.  The visor is a great, but ancient device and the docs talk about using a "fairly new kernel, like  2.4.17".  I am using 2.6.32 from backports and I have done 'modprobe visor' to load the module, but neither /dev/pilot, not /dev/ttyUSB1 are being created by udev.  I have the Vendor and Product IDs from dmesg.  How do I set up udev to
 create /dev/pilot when the hotsync button on the cradle is pressed

 --
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com