Re: Re: Misleading Debian's installer choice

Maybe he means "put" the usual "contents" of /var (cache, spool, log..) in a given partition? Hence, his question re: more than one /var. If that is what he wants (needs?), there's nothing preventing him from defining separate mount points and partitions for each sub-directory of /var at install time, I would imagine? Although it would make more sense doing so with /home for instance - possibly on large multiuser system, e.g.

---------- Original Message ----------
From: "Alan Chandler" alan@chandlerfamily.org.uk
Date: Jun. 30 2010 06:43AM
Subject: Re: Misleading Debian's installer choice

On 30/06/10 09:29, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> I find this perfect, but it should be coupled with the impossibility of
> putting on two partitions the same stuff, i.e. putting /var on two
> partitions, for example.

You are still talking backwards

You put the partition (/dev/sdXY) on /var not the other way round.  You
DON'T put /var on /dev/sdXY

If you imagine there is a conceptual drawing of the tree starting at /
and including all the major mount points - with the non standard mount
points being creatable manually, and somewhere below a list of
unallocated partitions.

Then you could drag any partition (from the unallocated list or from
another mount point) and drop it on mount point you wanted.  If that
mount point already had a partition at that point it would warn you, and
if you said continue would move the old partition back into the
unallocated list. If you said don't continue it would leave the old one
where it was and the new one would return from whence it came.

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk