Re: suspend to disk unreliable?

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 08:44:06PM +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Lu, 28 iun 10, 18:30:42, lee wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 12:16:07AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
>
> > > I do not exactly know your problem but suspend and hibernate are not always
> > > exclusive things.  Some configuration puts system into suspend to memory while
> > > having the same data stored into harddisk too.  So you win in both boot time
> > > and complete battery drain situation.
> >
> > Yes, but I don't want to suspend to RAM because the point is to save
> > power, and suspend to RAM will fail when the power fails. And I'm not
> > talking about a laptop.
>
> It doesn't matter it's not a laptop, assume a power failure. s2both will
> save the relevant data to disk and then suspend-to-ram.

But what's the advantage of suspending to RAM supposed to be? It
doesn't matter to me that resuming from disk takes half a minute or so
longer than it would take to resume from RAM.

As to magnitutes, during the suspend, it takes indefinitely more power
to suspend to RAM than it takes to suspend to disk.