portmap error during upgrade from etch to lenny

   I tried to upgrade to lenny using an ethernet connection.  The
process stopped when the monitor displayed "trying to update portmap 5-26"

   After a few minutes, I pressed control-C and the upgrade seemed to
continue.  The resulting system seems to work, but when I try to use
aptitude to get new software, it again freezes with a complaint about
portmap.  Perhaps related, it says I need to install "nfs-common".

    I read that portmap has something to do with RCS servers.  I don't
know what that is!

    Thanks for patience with questions from an unelightened user.