Re: switching to console and zapping

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 07:54:50AM +0000, Sascha Silbe wrote:
> Excerpts from lee's message of Fri Jun 25 20:31:15 +0000 2010:
>
> > what could be the reason why I can't switch from X11 to consoles with
> > Alt+Fx anymore? It's also not possible to kill the X session with
> > Ctrl+Alt+Backspace, though this feature is not turned off in the
> > xorg.conf. I'm using fvwm-crystal as a window manager.
> I'm assuming you're running squeeze, not lenny.

Uhm, it's Debian testing amd64 --- if that's called squeeze atm, yes :)

> > This has been going on for a quite a while now, but just now I had to
> > press reset button because I couldn't get out of X11 anymore :( I want
> > the default behaviour that allows switching and zapping back ...
> No idea why VT switching doesn't work for you. To get Ctrl+Alt+BS working
> again you need to change /etc/default/keyboard:
>
> XKBOPTIONS="terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"

Cool, I added that and will try it out. I also found that there's the
wrong keyboard model still specified (105 keys) because I replaced the
junk keyboard I had to use with a model M (102 keys) a few days ago.

Do you know where I could find some documentation about these
XKBOPTIONS? Google wasn't helpful with that ...

> If you have Magic SysRq enabled in your kernel (IIRC the default Debian
> kernel does), you can use that instead of reset the next time you need
> it. Press:

Yeah, I thought of that yesterday, but I can never remember which keys
to press when it comes to needing it. I'll just have to print that
documentation and keep it around ...