Re: Understanding my recurrent network connectivity problems

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:53:09 -0400
> vr <debian-user@iotk.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2010 3:27 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> > Might be that, but how could my ISP guess that I'm using a router?
>> >

>> The first few characters of a MAC address are registered to a company.
>
> True, but many companies make both routers and regular NICs.  Is there
> any way to tell from the MAC whether we're dealing with, say, a Linksys
> router as opposed to one of their NICs?

My ISP provided me with a "router" / modem, however the router is of
the extremely handicapped variety. Thus, I had to go into the
interface of the router/modem and tell it to act only as a gateway.
The only device that ever connects to that gateway is my linksys
router, so the ISP should have no way of telling how many devices are
actually connected to the router.

At this point my best guess is that the OP has at least five, perhaps
more devices connected to one crappy little residential router, and it
is understandably not at all happy with the situation, so it is
flaking out.

Maybe it's time to start perhaps some resource limits on your
connected devices via the router interface, or else tweak your Debian
system to not overhwelem the darned thing by lowering the maximum
number of simul requests, etc.

/guessing
Best,
AM