Re: Why does GNOME take so much time to tell that a screensaver-introduced password is erroneous?

Hi!

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 05:47:21PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:35:37 +0200
> Merciadri Luca <Luca.Merciadri@student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:
>
> > I use GNOME.
> >
> > I have noticed that if I type some erroneous password to leave the
> > screensaver mode, GNOME takes ~3 or 4 secs. to tell me that it is
> > erroneous. If I type the correct password, I am directly sent in my
> > session. Why does it take so much time to tell me that a password is
> > erroneous? I can even know if I made a typo by looking at how much time
> > it takes!

I believe that artificially introducing a delay when wrong credentials are
presented is standard operating procedure for most things where a password must
be entered.  As far as I know, there are several rationales behind this:

- To frustrate anybody trying to guess passwords. Being allowed to try many
  combinations in a short time helps make things difficult for attackers, and
  does not help legitimate users.

- To avoid "leaking" information: If entering a "nearly-correct" password
  responds faster than when entering an "obviously-wrong" password, an attacker
  can use this to improve the guesses - sort of triangulating.  If it always
  takes the same amount of time before the "wrong username/password" reply
  comes, this information is not available to a prospective attacker.

  I presume that some implementations add a random delay to obfuscate things
  further.

All in all, this makes things more difficult for attackers, whilst only being a
minor inconvenience for the "good guys": a good trade-off.

> Same thing with xscreensaver.  I think that a lot of software that asks
> for a password behaves like this, perhaps to prevent brute-forcing?
> I'm not sure if brute-forcing is possible on a GUI, though.

I suspect this is simply a problem of aquiring the right tools for the job:

- X events can be generated by software (e.g. the xmacro package).  This is
  evident if you use VNC to control a remote machine:  the screen saver is
  none-the-wiser to the fact that you are remote.

- USB keyboards can probably be simulated by other devices. I would not be
  surprised to find linux tools that allow a PC to act as a USB device, rather
  than USB "master".  From here on, it is just software again.

and probably lots of other ways...

--
Karl E. Jorgensen
IT Operations Manager