Re: [OT] First computer

* On 2010 19 Jun 07:10 -0500, John Hasler wrote:
> Miles Fidelman writes:
> > It continually amazes me that the [Z80 is] still in production and
> > widespread use.
>
> I've got a pile of them upstairs.  If I had an EPROM eraser (a
> programmer is easy to build) I'd use them instead of Atmel chips.

Needham's Electronics used to offer them, assuming they're still in
business.  I have one laying around here someplace should I ever need to
burn an EPROM for an amatuer radio application.

As for the first computer, I guess I was a Johnny Come Lately with my
TRS-80 Color Computer 2 with 16k "Extended Color BASIC" in late 1983.
Over time I upgraded it to 64k, added a 5.25" floppy disk drive, and a
dot matrix printer.  I used it for packet radio for about two years as
well as composing the local radio club's newsletter until I got a PX ZT
clone in 1989 with TWO floppy drives and 640k of memory!

Unfortunately, for most of that time I had a black an white TV hooked to
it.  :-/  I no longer have the machine as I gave it to a friend a number
of years back.  Unfortunately, he passed away a few years ago and it
probably found its way to a dump in Oklahoma.  :-(

- Nate >>