Re: Restarting X

On 17/06/10 01:22 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:53:49 +0100, James Allsopp wrote:
>
>> When I'm testing things with X I l want to be able to log via SSH and
>> restart X, how can I do that in a console? I'm using Gnome.
>
> "/etc/init.d/gdm restart"? :-?

Correct. This is what I always do, but with sudo (so, same thing):
$> sudo /etc/init.d/gdm restart

Replace gdm with kdm or xdm or whatever display manager one is running.

BTW, I wonder why the OP needs to SSH to his machine unless he is
already doing stuff remotely. On my machine if X messed up, I just
switch to a console (CTRL+ALT+F1 or F2 or F3 ..) and give the command
from there.

ever having been read.