Re: Backups - was: Re: LVM

On Tuesday 15 June 2010 18:06:51 Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:48:04 +0100, Lisi wrote:
> > On Tuesday 15 June 2010 14:40:44 Camaleón wrote:
> >> I would differentiate between "backup" data and "archived" data.
>
> (...)
>
> > Thanks for this.  I was originally responding to Andrew's saying:
> > <quote>
> > There are many many ways to make take backups beyond having a disk big
> > enough to hold the data.
> > </quote>
> >
> > I can think of very few - and was interested in what he was thinking of.
> > Incremental/differential backups are not really practical, since she
> > will be at school.
>
> Why not practical? Just curious O:-)

Because I shan't have hold of the computer for long enough or often enough!

> > A periodic dd (or Clonezilla?) of the whole drive
> > and more frequent updates of her personal data (of which I understand
> > that there is not much) would be the optimum, but a trifle pricey, so I
> > am still looking at alternative possibilities.
>
> The main drawback I see for "dd" or "clonezilla" is that they are very
> "slowness". It takes much time (and space!) to make a full copy (or
> image) of the disk and so not very practical because at last the user
> stops doing the backup on a regular basis :-(

The user isn't going to do the backup on a (frequent) regular basis anyway.
What I am hoping is to be able to dd (or Clonezilla or something) the drive
periodically and take a snapshot of the state of the machine at that point.
That will catch all the slow moving/changing files and facilitate a simple
restoration if needed.  With luck, her personal stuff will fit on a CD or
two.  Or, since we are anyway assuming that I shall be able to find the
money, I may get her a DVD RW.  That she might do reasonably often.

Another possibility that I haven't yet explored is to get a NAS or something
and back all of our machines up to it.

Lisi