Re: Upgrade Kernel, Lose External Display

On 06/12/2010 03:20 PM, Sven Joachim wrote:

You may as well blacklist nouveau then, since it is completely useless
without KMS (the nouveau X driver requires KMS).  Note, however, that
without an xorg.conf the most recent xserver-xorg-core will still load
the module.

I decided to take baby steps and do one thing at a time. I simply blacklisted nouveau in

/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

That solved the problem on this system. Didn't have to do anything like creating a /etc/modeprobe.d/nouveau-kms.conf file with "modeset=0 " in it or create an Xorg configuration file in /etc/X11 to load a specific driver.

The Xorg.0.log is still showing both nv and vesa drivers. Not sure whether that's good or bad, but everything is working without me having to boot into the older kernel.

I did file a bug on the 2D driver and will see if anything comes of that.

Thank you very much for your help, Sven.