Re: Opinions about my partition

On 11.06.2010 13:17, Germana Oliveira wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Im going to install a new Debian Lenny and im planning to do this:
>
> Disk 1 (10GB)
> /boot
> swap
> /tmp
> /home (it's going to be a server without GUI so, im not going to use
> /home too much)
>
> Disk 2 (40GB)
> /usr
> /var
> / (root)
>
> This server is going to have: LDAP, apache, php, DHCP (probably),
> postgre (maybe) and gosa
>
> any suggestion are welcome!

Just my 5 Cents:
Hard to say, as you didn't clarify what it is going to be used for.
- try to separate system-partitions and non-system-partions by disk (I
got this hint from SUN's good old Solaris 9 handbook - and it proved to
be right at a dozen times)
- /boot and / on two different disks tend to cause all sorts of
unexpected trouble. It might be perfectly legal but it's a matter of
time until some [kernel|grub|[mk]initramfs] upgrade, faulty hardware,
BIOS-whatever, or scrambled partition numbers will mess it up. Even more
if SCSI-controllers or multiboot involved.
- LVM is actually a good choice - but you should be aware that it also
creates another layer of abstraction (say: "trouble") if you have to
recover from the unexpected. So you might at least want to avoid
spanning LVs  over drive borders.
- Taking in account that /boot needs to be just some 100MB I would
definitely keep it on the same drive as /, /var and if by any chance
possible /usr. You still will be able to boot without swap or without
/tmp. Without /var or /usr it will be a lot harder.