Re: Ntpdate Errors (previously posted, +)

On 06/10/2010 10:38 AM, David Baron wrote:
> I get these periodically through the day:
>
> Cron <root@dovidhalevi> /usr/sbin/ntpdate -s 216.200.93.8 (failed)
>  From: Cron Daemon <root@dovidhalevi.homelinux.net>
>  To: root@dovidhalevi.homelinux.net
>
> command failed with exit status 1

Woah! Cron should NOT be running NTP. That defeats the whole purpose of
NTP. NTP is designed to adjust your clock so it's more accurate. How can
it do this if you're relying on your clock to run NTP? :) NTP adjusts
your clock by querying other NTP servers of a higher stratum other than
itself.

So, the first thing I would do is rip that line out of cron, whether in
be in root's crontab, or elsewhere. If you find an NTP script in any of
the /etc/cron.* directories, I'd rip it out of there too.

> I have no cron running ntpdate that I know of and there is no ntpdate entry in
> anacrontab. I run it in an rc.local type script on bootup. Period. This run
> works.
>
> The only thing I can think of is an obsolete webmin entry but I have not run
> webmin for ages. This simply made cron scripts for me as far as I know and I
> have no ntpdate crons that I can find. Where else might I look?

/var/spool/cron/ is the first place I would look for cron enttries. They
should be plain text files, so they're easy to grep through. Then I'd
look for scripts in /etc/cron.*/ as already mentioned.

> (I would remove or simply substitute ntpdate-debian.)
>
> There is no ntpd on my system.

There are a few packages that Debian ships related to ntp. 'ntp',
'openntpd' and 'ntpdate'. Sounds like you have the latter installed. If
either the ntp or openntpd packages are installed, you will get the NTP
daemon installed, as well as all client utilities. FYI in that.

--
. O .   O . O   . . O   O . .   . O .
. . O   . O O   O . O   . O O   . . O