Re: crash analysis?

Miles Fidelman put forth on 6/10/2010 12:53 PM:

> I suspect an out-of-resource panic, possibly caused some cron job or
> other, but I don't currently have visibility into what's going on just
> before one of these crashes - I can't find anything useful in the log
> files to suggest what's happening when it dies - one moment it's
> chugging along, the next there's a several second gap followed by a line
> containing “log source = /proc/kmsg”

Hmm.  Is the OOM killer firing?  You should see something in dmesg or one of
the logs if that's the case.

Old machine?  Have you run memtest?  Do you see any disk/controller errors in
the logs?

Have you checked all the fans, especially the CPU fan?  Any dead and/or dying?

--
Stan