Re: "Stable" vs "Unstable" & "Testing"

On Tue, Jun 08, 2010 at 04:55:03PM -0700, ABSDoug wrote:

> Thanks a BUNCH for all the responds! If I'm repeating myself, forgive,
> I'm not sure what you've read so far (had some posting issues, now
> resolved). I'd like to explain my desire to use Debian stable so as to
> get some education here, cause I'm confused now. My reason for wanting
> stable (is it called "Freeze"?) was because of a suggestion on the
> Ubuntu list. 10.04 UNE has problems with torrents dropping my wireless
> connection on my Acer Aspire One. My 1st reaction was, how in the
> WORLD does the Ubuntu *Netbook* Edition (formally "Remix") not work on
> my *netbook*!? On the Ubuntu list, there was talk about the 6-month
> release schedule, talk of Ubuntu being based on "unstable" Debian &
> that the answer might be Debian stable if you don't want problems.
> This was the 1st time I had heard of "stable" & "unstable", I only
> knew there was "testing", which I wanted to avoid. Sounded very
> reasonable, with a name like "stable" & finding out Debian is the
> SOURCE for other distros, I'm thinking stable is what you'd use if you
> don't want to be a "Guinea pig". So I ran right over here. That's what
> got me here, but now I'm wondering if I'm going to go with unstable
> "Squeeze", what does that offer over Ubuntu 9.10 (Remix). 9.10 (unlike
> 10.04) works well on my Acer Aspire One. I remember when Windows 7
> testing was being given away & most people I knew installed it right
> away. I wanted no part of "testing" software having no idea about this
> stable vs unstable issue. Hoping to get a good education on this! TIA

You could start by pointing a browser at http://www.debian.org and
following the "available versions of Debian" link in the "Getting
Started" section of the first page.

Cheers,
Tom

--
Jim, it's Grace at the bank.  I checked your Christmas Club account.
You don't have five-hundred dollars.  You have fifty.  Sorry, computer foul-up!