Re: problem running kernel compiled on different machine

H.S. wrote:
> I am testing a patch for the Debian kernel (regarding the firewire bug I
> reported earlier in this list). I have been sent the patch and I
> followed the Debian way of compiling the kernel after patching the source.
>
> The kernel was compiled (and the deb created) on an AMD64 bit machine
> which is running a 32 bit kernel (2.6.32-5-686-bigmem). The deb created
> can be installed without any problems on this host machine. However, if
> I try to install that deb on a target machine (Intell 32 bit processor),
> the installation gives errors and I cannot boot into that kernel:
<SNIP>

Some more info. I tried the --initrd this time while compiling the
kernel with the above mentioned patch. So different.

What I actually get while booting in the new kernel is a problem with
ext3 or something where the system cannot find ext3 and cannot mount my
partitions. The messages are similar to this (copied from a post elsewhere):
fsck.ext3: no such file or directory while trying to open /dev/hda4
/dev/hda4
filesystem. If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else) then the superblock

This is not the exact working, but close to what I get during the
reboot. The system than asks for root password for maintenance. I
eventually have to force a hardware restart of the system.

My next step is compile the ext3 support in the kernel and not as a
module. Currently, it is:
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=m
CONFIG_EXT3_DEFAULTS_TO_ORDERED=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y

I will change that to:
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y

But what beats me is that the host machine has no problem with the
current config and boot properly.

Any further info as to what I am missing here?

ever having been read.