Re: Squeeze and mobile broadband...

emigrant wrote:

> On Sun, 2010-05-30 at 19:57 -0500, lrhorer wrote:
>> emigrant wrote:

>> > hi,
>> > thanks all for your replies.
>> > what i can say of my modem is,
>> > its like a pen drive in shape and is only used as a modem.
>> > and it work out of the box in ubuntu and pclos (those are the two
>> > distros iv checked so far)
>>
>> That doesn't really say anything.  With the modem plugged in, what is
>> the result of
>>
>> `lsusb -v`
>>

> lsusb -v
>
> Bus 003 Device 004: ID 12d1:1003 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. E220
> HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
> Device Descriptor:
>   bLength                18
>   bDescriptorType         1
>   bcdUSB               2.00
>   bDeviceClass            0 (Defined at Interface level)
>   bDeviceSubClass         0
>   bDeviceProtocol         0
>   bMaxPacketSize0        64
>   idVendor           0x12d1 Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.
>   idProduct          0x1003 E220 HSDPA Modem / E270 HSDPA/HSUPA Modem
>   bcdDevice            0.00
>   iManufacturer           3
>   iProduct                2
>   iSerial                 0
>   bNumConfigurations      1

<snip>

>     Interface Descriptor:
>       bLength                 9
>       bDescriptorType         4
>       bInterfaceNumber        2
>       bAlternateSetting       0
>       bNumEndpoints           2
>       bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
>       bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
>       bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)

<snip>

        Yep, it's a Huawei E220.  If you will look on the link I sent you, you
will see it there.  It's a "flip-flop" device, also called "Zero-CD".
When first inserted into a USB port, it is a drive device, similar to a
USB "thumbdrive".  It contains the software windows needs to load in
order to access the device.  Note the description:

    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        3
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
      bInterfaceProtocol     80 Bulk (Zip)

        The dongle looks like a SCSI device to the OS.  It needs to have its
mode switched so it looks and acts like a modem (or in general whatever
the secondary device might be), rather than a USB drive.  That's the
purpose of usb_modeswitch.  After the switch takes place, it will look
and act like a usb dial-up modem as far as Linux is concerned. (Some
dongles also have drive devices built in to read and write memory
sticks as well as their modem function.) Usb-modeswitch and
usb-modeswitch-data are both part of the Debian "Squeeze" distro,
although it doesn't look as if they are loaded automatically.  You will
need to use apt-get (or aptitude, or synaptic, ...) to install them.
Once usb_modeswitch is run, the output of lsusb will show something
like:

Bus 006 Device 002: ID 1f28:0020 Cal-Comp
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.10
  bDeviceClass            2 Communications
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0        64
  idVendor           0x1f28 Cal-Comp
  idProduct          0x0020
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1 Cal-comp E&CC Limited
  iProduct                2 Cal-comp CDMA USB Modem A600
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength          189
    bNumInterfaces          7
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          0
    bmAttributes         0xa0
      (Bus Powered)
      Remote Wakeup
    MaxPower              500mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           1
      bInterfaceClass         2 Communications
      bInterfaceSubClass      2 Abstract (modem)
      bInterfaceProtocol      1 AT-commands (v.25ter)
      iInterface              3 Data Interface

        How automated the use of the dongle can be under "Squeeze" right out of
the box, I couldn't tell you.  I'm running a Cricket A600 modem
under "Squeeze", but I'm using the box as a broadband router, so
everything from the dialing scripts on up are custom.