Re: GeForce 8400 GS: Xorg -configure fails

On 2010-05-09 08:00 +0200, Akira Kitada wrote:

> I'm trying to set up X and I tried 'Xorg -configure' but it failed
> with errors below.
> I run Sid on a home-brew machine built on a GA-EP45-DS5 Motherboard and
> my monitor is BenQ FP222W.
>
> I tried Ubuntu 10.04 Live CD to see how it works on the same box and
> it just worked without any troubles.

I think the problem is that the X server does not yet load the nouveau
driver by default, this should be fixed soon.  Until that happens you
need a minimal xorg.conf, see
/usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-video-nouveau/examples/xorg.conf.  Running
Xorg -configure should not be necessary.

> Is thera anyone how has ever seen this?

I had not tried Xorg -configure before, but when I do it now…

> (EE) [drm] No DRICreatePCIBusID symbol
> Number of created screens does not match number of detected devices.
>   Configuration failed.

…I get the same error.  The generated xorg.conf.new file seems to work,
though.

Sven