Re: Aptitude status output meaning

On Friday 30 April 2010 12:39:36 Lisi wrote:
> On Friday 30 April 2010 16:44:52 Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
> > The "A" means that it was installed automatically due to a dependency,
> > so if all packages depending on it are uninstalled, it will
> > automatically be removed as well.
>
> Thanks! I had realised that "i" meant installed, but as large numbers of
> dependencies get installed automatically as far as I am concerned, I hadn't
> managed to work out that some of them got marked!  Very few things seem
> actually to acquire the "A".

On my little VM I have 294 packages installed, 277 marked as automatically
installed.

I find that the more packages are automatically installed, the easier upgrades
are, since aptitude seems more willing to preform a library transition on a
"automatically installed" package.

I try to only keep packages I know I am using un-marked.