Re: Questions about RAID 6

On Wed April 28 2010 18:51:18 Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> You seem to posses knowledge of these things that is 180 degrees opposite
> of fact.  OLTP, or online transaction processing, is typified by retail or
> web point of sale transactions or call logging by telcos.  OLTP databases
> are typically much more write than read heavy.  OLAP, or online analytical
> processing, is exclusively reads, made up entirely of search queries.
> Why/how would you think OLTP is mostly reads?

If all you're doing is appending to a log file then you're write-intensive.
For example, some INN servers using cycbuffs are write-intensive if they can
forward the articles out to the peers before they disappear from cache.

OLTP databases have indices (or hash tables or whatever) that need to be
read even when writing a new record.  Then of course, the data that has been
written needs to be used for something such as fulfillment and analysis.
Both are mostly reads.  Backup from the live DB is all reads.

I typically saw about 90% reads in OLTP databases.

I think this is getting off-topic for debian-user.

--Mike Bird