Re: Questions about RAID 6

Mark Allums put forth on 4/27/2010 10:31 PM:

> For DIY, always pair those drives.  Consider RAID 10, RAID 50, RAID 60,
> etc.  Alas, that doubles the number of drives, and intensely decreases
> the MTBF, which is the whole outcome you want to avoid.

This is my preferred mdadm 4 drive setup for a light office server or home
media/vanity server.  Some minor setup details are omitted from the diagram
to keep it simple, such as the fact that /boot is a mirrored 100MB partition
set and that there are two non mirrored 1GB swap partitions.  / and /var are
mirrored partitions in the remaining first 30GB.  These sizes are arbitrary,
and can be seasoned to taste.  I find these sizes work fairly well for a non
GUI Debian server.

md raid, 4 x 500GB 7.2K rpm SATAII drives:

	mirror			 mirror
	/    \			 /    \
 --------  3  --------    --------  3  --------
| /boot  | 0 | /boot  |  | swap1  | 0 | swap2  |
| /      | G | /      |  | /var   | G | /var   |
|--------|   |--------|  |--------|   |--------|
| /home  |   | /home  |  | /home  |   | /home  |
| /samba |   | /samba |  | /samba |   | /samba |
| other  |   | other  |  | other  |   | other  |
|        |   |        |  |        |   |        |
|        |   |        |  |        |   |        |
 --------     --------    --------     --------
	\	\		/	/
         -------------------------------
		     RAID 10
		   940 GB NET

For approximately the same $$ outlay one could simply mirror two 1TB 7.2K
rpm drives and have the same usable space and a little less power draw.  The
4 drive RAID 10 setup will yield better read and write performance due to
the striping, especially under a multiuser workload, and especially for IMAP
serving of large mailboxen.  For a small/medium office server running say
Postfix/Dovecot/Samba/lighty+Roundcube webmail, a small intranet etc, the 4
drive setup would yield significantly better performance than the higher
capacity 2 drive setup.  Using Newegg's prices, each solution will run a
little below or above $200.

This 4 drive RAID 10 makes for a nice little inexpensive and speedy setup.
1TB of user space may not seem like much given the capacity of today's
drives, but most small/medium offices won't come close to using that much
space for a number of years, assuming you have sane email attachment policies.

--
Stan