Re: device names

On Tuesday 27 April 2010 13:46:23 Frank McCormick wrote:
> I recently installed Ubuntu 10.04 on the "other" partition on my
> hd ( /dev/hda3) and came across a problem no one on the
> Ubuntu forums could really resolve.
> Grub2 was installed at the same time as Ubuntu, and the whole
> installation worked fine..for Ubuntu.
> However Grub2 could not boot Debian Squeeze on /dev/hda2.
> Update-grub kept putting /dev/sda2 in its grub.cfg and Squeeze
> could not boot from that. It also did not use UUIDs for Debian
> despite the face that seems to be the default.
> Grub2 is installed in the MBR.
>
> The only solution I could find after days was to install Grub2 from
> Debian, again in the MBR. Its config boots both fine, using UUIDs.
>
> Is this a Grub bug in Ubuntu, or will Debian eventually start
> calling HD partitions by the same syntax?

The kernel from lenny-backports, testing, or sid will probably be using the
same device naming as Ubuntu.

Likely it is not using UUIDs trying to be compatible with initramfs-es or
other systems that don't like them.  But, as you've seen, using the "raw"
device name doesn't really help either.  Different kernel versions, and even
kernels compiled with different options, will use different "raw" names for
the devices.  In odd setups, the device name might change from boot to boot as
devices are (now) discovered asynchronously so they may be assigned names in a
different order based how quickly they respond to the kernel.